Sanctity of Life
Good Questions: These Lessons Have Groups Doubling
by Josh Hunt www.joshhunt.com
Gen. 1:27; Deut. 18:10; Ps. 139:13-16; Mark 10:13-16 (1)
- Let's each share our name and where you are in the birth order of your family?
- Have you read anything in your personal time with God that has been especially meaningful to you in recent days?
- As we read these passages, look for the theme that ties the passages together.
- Genesis 1:27 says that God created man in his own image. In what ways are we like God?
- In what ways are we different from God?
- The verse says God created them male and female. Why is it important that we understand the differences between male and female?
- What does it mean that we are fearfully and wonderfully made?
- This verse is often used to support the idea that we have positive self esteem. Is it important that we have positive self esteem? Why ? Why not?
- Can self-esteem be overdone?
- How have you made progress is developing a healthy self-esteem?
- Have you ever felt unhappy with God over the way he made your body?
- What does it mean, "All the days ordained for me were written in your book"?
- How did Jesus demonstrate the value of children?
- How do we as a church demonstrate a high value for children?
- Why were some indignant about children coming to Jesus?
- What does it mean to "receive the kingdom of God like a little child"?
- One implication of these verses is the topic of today's lesson, the sanctity of life. God values human life, created in the image of God, both born and unborn. We believe that because the Bible teaches it. But, suppose someone says, "Well, that is your belief, and it may even be my belief, but you shouldn't impose your belief on another. Every woman has a right to choose about such matters." How would you respond?
- What is the most persuasive argument you have heard on this topic?
- How have you expressed your convictions about this topic?
- What are some ways you could express your convictions about the sanctity of life?
- What keeps you from being more active in expressing your convictions?
- How important is this issue to you?
- Would you join me in surrendering to Christ with reference to this issue and doing whatever God would have us to do?
1. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, Deut. 18:10 (NIV)
 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV)
 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them.  When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."  And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. Mark 10:13-16 (NIV)