When Dawson Trotman passed away he probably left a legacy of discipleship on this earth that will never be matched except perhaps in the life of Jesus Christ Himself. I’ve become a real student of Dawson Trotman and believe wholeheartedly in the methods of discipleship that he taught and emulated throughout his days. He died in Schroon Lake, New York. He died of all things in the midst of an area that he was expert in—he drowned. He was an expert swimmer. The last few moments he had in the water he lifted one girl out of the water. He went down and got the other girl and lifted her out of the water and then submerged and was not found again until the dragnet found him a few hours later. A man named Larsen was on that boat when Trotman died, and he said, “The entire United States Navy couldn’t have saved Trotman that day—it was God’s time.” Time ran an article on Trotman’s life the next week, and they put a caption beneath his name, and it read, “Always Holding Somebody Up.” In one sentence, that was Trotman’s life—investment in people, in honesty and humility, holding them up. Are you doing that? Who are you holding up? Charles Swindoll / Illustrations Unlimited.
- How can I understand God?
- The Fulfillment of Old Testament Prophecies Confirms Jesus’ Identity
- Why people lose faith
- PURSUING PLEASURE UNDERMINES PRIDE AND SELF-PITY
- What is it like to come to God?
- The spiritual discipline of service
- Pain is God’s megaphone
- The Greatest Mystery of the Christian Fatih
- Jesus is in the life-changing business
- Extrabiblical Sources Confirm Jesus’ Identity
- The Power of the Mind in Discipleship
- How beauty points to the existence of God
- The Spiritual Discipline of evangelism
- What if I don’t feel joy
- Who was Jesus?
- The truth about idolatry
- Loving God with Your Mind
- The Greatest Moment In Your Life
- Doubling Groups, Part #7 — Reproduce Your Group
- Emotions are not optional
- The Historicity of Jesus of Nazareth
- If I had my life to live over…
- Doubling Groups 6 Encourage the Group Toward Ministry
- Godliness without the worship of God is unthinkable
- What were we made for?
Subscribe To Our Newsletter And get a FREE copy of The Effective Bible Teacher
For nearly thirty years, Dr. Bill Tolar and Dr. Brian Harbour have helped thousands of Sunday School teachers prepare their lessons by means of video. Each week, they provide an insightful walk through this week's scriptures and provide concrete Bible-to-life application points for you to make with your class this Sunday. Their video lesson previews are available for both the Life and Explore Series materials. We have arranged a special one-month free trial of their videos for anyone who mentions joshhunt.com. Click here for more information or to get your free trial.
Josh Hunt believes in the power of the small group ministry in your church. And, his belief is contagious. In his new book, Make Your Group Grow, Josh presents sound application to easy to understand research that will benefit every size and style of church. Your groups and leadership will benefit from this book.
LifeWay Research, www.edstetzer.com