At Brook Hills we decided to try to answer this question. We actually stripped away the entertainment value and invited people to come together simply to study God’s Word for hours at a time. We called it Secret Church. We set a date—one Friday night—when we would gather from six o’clock in the evening until midnight, and for six hours we would do nothing but study the Word and pray. We would interrupt the six-hour Bible study periodically to pray for our brothers and sisters around the world who are forced to gather secretly. We would also pray for ourselves, that we would learn to love the Word as they do. We weren’t sure how many would show up that first evening, but by night’s end about a thousand people had gathered. Our topic of study was the Old Testament. After our first try we decided to do it again, and again, and now we have to take reservations because we cannot contain all the people who want to come.
- How to be happy — Randy Alcorn
- How can I overcome my problems?
- How to live when times are good
- Life after a disastrous, embarrassing sin
- The Art of Forgiveness
- Practice hospitality
- Forgiving for Jesus’ Sake
- Falling in Love with Jesus
- The empirical benefits of attending church
- Learning Discipleship from Good King Asa
- The myth of the dying church
- The Promise of Forgiveness
- Is every disciple an evangelist?
- How can I be confident in a crisis?
- When you refuse to forgive
- Sola Scriptura and the Need for Translations
- How Can I Ever Change?
- The Life of David as Reflected in the Psalms
- Walking Wounded
- MOBILIZING THE LAITY TO MINISTRY
- Beyond David and Goliath
- Choosing Forgiveness
Subscribe To Our Newsletter And get a FREE copy of The Effective Bible Teacher
For nearly thirty years, Dr. Bill Tolar and Dr. Brian Harbour have helped thousands of Sunday School teachers prepare their lessons by means of video. Each week, they provide an insightful walk through this week's scriptures and provide concrete Bible-to-life application points for you to make with your class this Sunday. Their video lesson previews are available for both the Life and Explore Series materials. We have arranged a special one-month free trial of their videos for anyone who mentions joshhunt.com. Click here for more information or to get your free trial.
Josh Hunt believes in the power of the small group ministry in your church. And, his belief is contagious. In his new book, Make Your Group Grow, Josh presents sound application to easy to understand research that will benefit every size and style of church. Your groups and leadership will benefit from this book.
LifeWay Research, www.edstetzer.com