“How is your spiritual life going?” I used to answer this question by looking at the state of my devotional activities: Did I pray and read the Bible enough today? The problem is that by this measure the Pharisees always win. People can be very disciplined, but remain proud and spiteful. How do we measure spiritual growth so that the Pharisees don’t win? I asked a wise man, “How do you assess the well-being of your soul?” He immediately said, “I ask myself two questions”: Am I growing more easily discouraged these days? Am I growing more easily irritated these days? At the core of a flourishing soul are the love of God and the peace of God. If peace is growing in me, I am less easily discouraged. If love is growing, I am less easily irritated. It was a brilliantly helpful diagnostic to assess the health of my soul. — John Ortberg
- God sends the best!
- Saving on Commentaries
- What is the devil like?
- Francis Chan on their church model in urban San Francisco
- Are homosexuals born that way?
- Women and ministry
- Francis Chan on Huckabee
- The Bible and Homosexuality
- The Devil Is Real
- The radical shift in sexual ethics
- ReThinking Outreach – Francis Chan
- How did we get in this mess?
- What is the unpardonable sin?
- The world’s most misquoted verse
- Whatever happened to right and wrong?
- The Nature of Our Enemy
- The Bible and gender
- Don’t waste your retirement
- Who is the devil and how does he work?
- Why I Believe
- What do you do when evil strikes you?
- A short history of Christian Hospitality
- Clarify the Mission
- Attitude is everything
- Missional Communities
- The most important thing we do
- Good groups eat together
- War is an ugly thing
- Does your group know each other’s stories?
- It’s not about you
- How your group can bless others
- Learning contentment
- Why I am pro-life
- Should Christians Hate? (I’ll bet the answer will surprise you!)
- The Joy of Adversity
- Missional Communities: Clarify the Mission
- An Anchor for the soul
- We are church — Francis Chan
- Missional Communities Eat Together
- What does a missional community do?
- Jesus changes everything
- Culture Shock
- What is a house church to do?
- What is a missional community?
- 6 Personal Benefits of a Small Group
- Rejoice always, really?
- Missional Communities Practice Hospitality
- Find your one thing
- A wretch like me
- The great illness of the church
- Theology matters
- Thinking soberly about death
- When the Enemy Strikes
Subscribe To Our Newsletter And get a FREE copy of The Effective Bible Teacher
For nearly thirty years, Dr. Bill Tolar and Dr. Brian Harbour have helped thousands of Sunday School teachers prepare their lessons by means of video. Each week, they provide an insightful walk through this week's scriptures and provide concrete Bible-to-life application points for you to make with your class this Sunday. Their video lesson previews are available for both the Life and Explore Series materials. We have arranged a special one-month free trial of their videos for anyone who mentions joshhunt.com. Click here for more information or to get your free trial.
Josh Hunt believes in the power of the small group ministry in your church. And, his belief is contagious. In his new book, Make Your Group Grow, Josh presents sound application to easy to understand research that will benefit every size and style of church. Your groups and leadership will benefit from this book.
LifeWay Research, www.edstetzer.com