One of the most bizarre demonstrations of the like-o-meter in action comes from the work of Brett Pelham,11 who has discovered that one’s like-o-meter is triggered by one’s own name. Whenever you see or hear a word that resembles your name, a little flash of pleasure biases you toward thinking the thing is good. So when a man named Dennis is considering a career, he ponders the possibilities: “Lawyer, doctor, banker, dentist . . . dentist . . . something about dentist just feels right.” And, in fact, people named Dennis or Denise are slightly more likely than people with other names to become dentists. Men named Lawrence and women named Laurie are more likely to become lawyers. Louis and Louise are more likely to move to Louisiana or St. Louis, and George and Georgina are more likely to move to Georgia. The own-name preference even shows up in marriage records: People are slightly more likely to marry people whose names sound like their own, even if the similarity is just sharing a first initial. When Pelham presented his findings to my academic department, I was shocked to realize that most of the married people in the room illustrated his claim: Jerry and Judy, Brian and Bethany, and the winners were me, Jon, and my wife, Jayne.
- Alpha and Omega
- Can We Know if God is Real? – Nabeel Qureshi
- Names matter
- Something Needs to Change — Examples of Change — David Platt
- What if my class won’t open up and discuss?
- The first step in knowing God’s Will
- Something Needs to Change
- Botham Jean’s brother embraces ex-cop Amber Guyger, who was convicted of his murder | Nightline
- Bible Studies for Life Lesson
- David Platt something needs to change.
- My Journey to Christ – Nabeel Qureshi
- Nine Reasons Christians Fail to Evangelize
- Nabeel Qureshi: A Short Testimony
- Why, after ten years of talking with atheists, I’m still a Christian – Justin Brierley
- Comparing the Deaths of Nabeel Qureshi and Muhammad
- Nabeel Qureshi-Answering Jihad: A Better Way Forward
- The Power of Jesus’ Names
- See victim’s brother hug convicted ex-cop Amber Guyger
- Offering Forgiveness, Man Hugs Police Officer Who Killed His Brother
- Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: The Christian Testimony of Nabeel Qureshi
- Don’t get spiritually stuck
- We must do this to change
Subscribe To Our Newsletter And get a FREE copy of The Effective Bible Teacher
There are no upcoming events.
For nearly thirty years, Dr. Bill Tolar and Dr. Brian Harbour have helped thousands of Sunday School teachers prepare their lessons by means of video. Each week, they provide an insightful walk through this week's scriptures and provide concrete Bible-to-life application points for you to make with your class this Sunday. Their video lesson previews are available for both the Life and Explore Series materials. We have arranged a special one-month free trial of their videos for anyone who mentions joshhunt.com. Click here for more information or to get your free trial.
Josh Hunt believes in the power of the small group ministry in your church. And, his belief is contagious. In his new book, Make Your Group Grow, Josh presents sound application to easy to understand research that will benefit every size and style of church. Your groups and leadership will benefit from this book.
LifeWay Research, www.edstetzer.com