Imagine having Allan Taylor, Dr. Elmer Towns, Steve Parr, David Francis and myself, (Josh Hunt) in your Association for some All-Star Sunday School training.
Now imagine it didn’t cost you anything
The five of us have been dreaming about what it would be like for us to work together to bring the best we have in Sunday School Training. The first meeting is already set at First Baptist Indian Trail near Charlotte, NC. The dates are February 17 – 18, 2012. Allan Taylor, Steve Parr and I will be speaking at this event.
The vision for this event is a little different from a lot of Sunday School training where the crowd is subdivided into numerous break-out sessions. We want the high-energy of a big crowd to communicate that Sunday School is alive and well and a viable way of reaching people today. We would like to start each session with 20 minutes of upbeat music provided by the host church. The event will be as much motivation as it will be training. We want the people to leave not only knowing some things about Sunday School, but fired up to make their Sunday Schools a vibrant v ehicle for God to use to reach people.
Here is a brief resume of the speakers:
- David Francis, head of Sunday School for Lifeway and author of a Transformational Class: Transformational Church Goes to Sunday School and a number of other books on Sunday School.
- Elmer Towns, co-founder of Liberty University, creator of Friend day, author of What Every Sunday School Teacher Should Know and What Every Pastor Should know About Sunday School.
- Allan Taylor, Minister of Education at First Baptist Church Woodstock and author of Sunday School in HD and The Six Core Values of Sunday School
- Steve Parr, Vice President for Evangelism and Sunday School for the Georgia Baptist Convention and author of Sunday School that Really Works and Sunday School That Really Responds.
- Myself, Josh Hunt author of Make Your Group Grow, You Can Double Your Class in Two Years or Less, Disciplemaking Teachers and Good Questions Have Groups Talking
The idea is that three of the five of us will speak at each event. We pla n to offer this on a shared-risk/ shared-reward basis. This way, no one is on the hook for a big risk if it doesn’t work. If it works well, the reward is spread out as well. Here is what we have in mind.
Participants will be charged $25 with a $5 discount if they sign up early. The host Association will be responsible for travel expenses, but no particular honorarium for the speakers. The host Association will receive $5 of the $20 (or $25) registration fee. At around 200 – 300 people, it ought to break even for the Association. We are hoping for at least that number at each event. The host will be responsible to aggressively promote the event in their association and throughout the state. Hopefully we can get the cooperation of nearby State Conventions as well.
We have in mind a Friday / Saturday schedule.
· 7 – 9 on Friday night
· 9 – noon on Saturday
With this schedule, no meal will be needed. We have tossed around the idea of an all day Saturday format and would be open to that as well.
These will be offered on a first come/ first served basis. I don’t expect that I will be able to get all these men to hold these dates long, so if you are interested, please let me know right away.
If you have any questions or feedback on this approach, I’d love to hear from you.