1. This group may have many leaders, but only one Lord, God (“You shall have no other gods before me,” Ex 20:3).
2. This group will discern all persons, relationships and things in recognition and measure of the ever-present Creator God (“You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below,” Ex 20:4).
3. This group will speak of and address God with creativity, sincerity and passion (“You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God,” Ex 20:7).
4. This group will set aside prime and regular times to meet God in solitude and in community (“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy,” Ex 20:8).
5. This group will treat one another with dignity, honor and respect, as members of one family in God (“Honor your father and your mother,” Ex 20:12).
6. This group will practice giving and receiving forgiveness in the process of dealing with conflict and anger (“You shall not murder,” Ex 20:13).
7. This group will nurture healthy relationships between men and women (“You shall not commit adultery,” Ex 20:14).
8. This group will give just time and space for each member to share who they are and what they have (“You shall not steal,” Ex 20:15).
9. This group will encourage each member to speak truthfully, in love, confidentiality and integrity, to and about every other group member (“You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor,” Ex 20:16).
10. This group will affirm the gifts of each member and every relationship for sharing, in compassionate service, its life together with people outside itself (“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house,” Ex 20:17).
Gareth Weldon Icenogle, Biblical Foundations for Small Group Ministry: An Integrative Approach (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993).