I will explain more fully what is involved in each of these habits in the following chapters, but let me make the point here that each habit is designed to release a certain value in the life of the person who practices them.
- If you bless three people every week, you’re going to become a very generous person.
- If you eat with others, you’ll develop a greater capacity for hospitality.
- If you foster the habit of listening to the Holy Spirit, you’ll become an increasingly Spirit-led person.
- If you’re learning Christ, it’s fair to assume you’ll become more and more Christlike.
- If you’re journaling the myriad ways you’ve been sent into your world, you’ll increasingly see yourself as a sent one, or a missionary in your own neighborhood.
Michael Frost, Surprise the World: The Five Habits of Highly Missional People (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2016).
I have just completed a series of lessons based on this book. They are available on Amazon in both print and Kindle versions, as well as part of my Good Questions Have Groups Talking Subscription service. For a medium-sized church, lesson subscriptions are only $10 per teacher per year. Lessons correspond with three of Lifeway’s outlines as well as the International Standard Series.